Monday, December 7, 2009

Home


The Biltmore Estate lit up for Christmas


Home. The word evokes a lot of emotion. Last weekend I visited the largest private home in the US ( 175,000 sq ft.), The Biltmore House in Asheville, NC. My daughter in law Jennifer gave me tickets so my daughter Kathleen and I went up for the afternoon. The estate is 8000 acres, a mere shadow of its original size of 125,000 acres. It was designed to be a self sustaining estate, therefore ahead of it's time in some ways. For decades its magnificent house and grounds survived from the proceeds of it's dairy. Today there are tours , wine production, and a new Inn on the grounds. Visiting such an incredible estate brings to mind many questions about life, history , and how we as individuals fit into this intricate web of economy and society. There is a lot of history to be perused. Enjoying the lights with a moment to reflect within about my humble place in the Universe.


My daughter Kathleen looking quite European in Front of Le Chateau

4 comments:

  1. The Biltmore House is stunning...I clicked on the photo to get a larger view...it is hard to imagine living in such a space when it was actually someones "home"...it would have been a far different life I'm sure! What a story the house could tell...

    Your daughter is lovely...yes very European looking the way she has the scarf around her head...the colors in her scarf and sweater suit her well!!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biltmore is beautiful, and you do have a lovely lovely daughter!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies, she doesn't realize how pretty she is . She is a paramedic and I am very proud of her. The house is amazing , I wish every one had the house of their dreams. My version would definitely be smaller than this but it is a work of art in it's own right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live on the other side of you! Near the Cherokee National Forest! My aunt and uncle live in Waynesville, N.C. in their dream home, they built 4 years ago.
    We do live in beautiful country, don't we!
    Misha

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, please share your thoughts!